JOB POSTING FOR DIRECTOR, VIRGINIA FOOD WORKS
The non-profit organization Virginia Food Works (VFW) seeks a passionate, energetic, dedicated, and outgoing leader to further its mission of promoting food entrepreneurship and assisting farmers with the production and marketing of locally-made foods. More details about our mission and services can be found via www.VirginiaFoodWorks.org .
Position Title: Director
Salary: Combination of base salary and incentives based off new business performance.
Hours: 25 to 40 hours per week, depending on season and new project implementation
Location: Farmville, VA
Work Location: Combination telework / Farmville, VA
Since 2012, Virginia Food Works has been assisting small businesses and area farms to create Virginia-grown and processed food products through the Prince Edward County Cannery and Commercial Kitchen, implementing programs that strengthen the capacity of Virginia farm-based producers to enter and succeed in value-added food manufacturing and sales.
As the leader of the Virginia Food Works team, the Director will provide overall strategic vision and project management expertise to the organization’s services, including rental of the Kitchen for commercial food clients, contract packing services for farm operations, community outreach and education, and additional project-based activities. Key responsibilities include:
- Market Development: lead the recruitment of commercial food clients and farm operators; attend industry trade shows and conferences; promote VFW’s services through media and personal appearances
- Client Services: guide clients through regulatory compliance and new product planning; coordinate food production- including delivery and storage for containers and raw food products; maintain detailed recordkeeping
- Operations Management: perform bookkeeping operations including invoicing, create monthly summary of Kitchen usage, maintain operational manual and protocols;
- Food Processing- Planning and Production: manage VFW’s processing team as they assist clients with the production of food products using the Kitchen’s equipment; operate food processing equipment as necessary (training will be provided)
- Business Development: write applications for grant funding and implement winning grants for new project areas that further VFW’s mission and allow the continued expansion of the organization
- Network Building: collaborate with regional partners including Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, local food support organizations, and other non/for-profit organizations to identify new resources and opportunities for Virginia producers. Represent VFW’s work at local and regional conferences and convenings.
Weekly work hours required to fulfill these responsibilities will fluctuate depending on seasonality and new business strategies. The off-peak season is December through March with a higher workload during the peak season of April through November. These work hours will vary as the Director implements new grant-funded projects.
This position can be telework-based so long as the Director can provide on-site support in Farmville once per week (and as needed). Limited travel to local and regional conferences and meetings is also required.
- Must live in or close to Farmville, VA. Must possess a reliable form of transportation. Minimum expectations for on-site work are one day per week with that expanding to two or three days per week during peak seasonProven project management and staff management skills
- Proven written and oral communication skills and experience working with diverse audiences
- Proficiency in MS Office or Google Suites software and a willingness to learn new technologies, as needed
- A working understanding of managerial accounting
- Must be able to assist with food production, operating food processing machinery as needed (training will be provided)
SKILLS NOT REQUIRED BUT BENEFICIAL
- Knowledge and expertise of Virginia farming, value-added processing, and/or small business enterprise development
- Grant writing and nonprofit management skills necessary to grow organization
- Proficiency in QuickBooks Online and remote office technologies
Complete the following application materials
- Cover letter (include relevant experience)
- 3 professional references
- Contact information (address, email, phone)
Send application materials to info@VirginiaFoodWorks.org
- Subject Line: “Virginia Food Works Director Position”
- Application Deadline is February 21st, 2018
- Email your questions to info@VirginiaFoodWorks.org with Subject Line “Director Position.”